Site Search

Jones Is A Vital Cog

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 - 11:59 AM

Long gone are the days when full-forwards notched century tallies of goals season after season. Football has developed into a sport which demands a strong involvement from all members of the side. It requires uncompromising commitment, versatility and unselfish team play.

And exemplifying that sort of discipline and an undertaking to share the load was Claremont full-forward Chad Jones in the match against Perth at Lathlain Park on Saturday.

Jones booted three goals to take his tally in 124 WAFL matches to 396. But it is his willingness to cover much more ground than the goalsneaks of yesteryear which makes him a highly important cog in the Tigers machine.  

Frequently Jones is seen helping out on a centre wing, and typifying that was his effort to take a mark 80m out from the goalsquare ten minutes into the fourth quarter against the Demons. He delivered a short pass to Jake Murphy, who took the mark on the 50m arc before going back to slam home the second of his three goals for the afternoon.

It was this sort of undertaking which played an important part in Claremont’s hard-fought 15-point victory over a dogged and determined opponent.

The Tigers will complete the qualifying rounds when they clash with East Fremantle at East Fremantle Oval next Saturday before meeting West Perth in the second semi-final at Claremont Oval the following weekend, on Sunday, September 8.

Claremont have set the standard in the league competition over the past four seasons, contesting 85 matches for 69 wins and a draw and only 15 losses. But nothing is being taken for granted. Coach Marc Webb, his lieutenants and all the players realise fully well that premierships are very hard to achieve and everyone needs to pull in the same direction to win a grand final.

Claremont went into Saturday’s match without captain Andrew Browne, star midfielder Andrew Foster and defenders Jesse Laurie and Tom Taylor and met stern resistance from the Demons, who had to win to retain a slim hope of qualifying for the first semi-final.

Perth were smartest into stride and had two goals on the board before the Tigers got their first major after 17 minutes when Luke Blackwell passed to Paul Medhurst, who took the mark, and in typical fashion, played on and kicked accurately.

David Crawford came under notice late in the term when he smothered the ball off the boot of Brennan Stack, gathered it and cleared it down the scoreboard flank. Perth led by 12 points at quarter time.

Anderson was a shining light in a back pocket in the opening quarter during which he revealed all his sparkling speed, took three marks and had seven kicks. Mark Seaby was in control in the ruck and midfielders Murphy, Ryan Neates and Blackwell and wingers Matt Goyder and Sam Fong were prominent.

The Tigers made a flying start to the second term when Murphy received a free-kick 60m out and then sold a dummy and swerved past Jarryd Morton to steer home a long goal with 54 seconds on the clock.

Claremont took the lead for the first time six minutes into the quarter when Murphy pounced on an errant Perth clearing kick and handpassed to Jack Bradshaw for the side’s third major. Ninety seconds later winger Nick Winmar drove the ball forward where Richardson earned a free-kick when he was slung to the ground when not in possession. He made the most of the opportunity.

Half-forward flanker Matt Davies joined the fun by scoring the next goal and late in the quarter Richardson got the ball to Medhurst, who coolly sent a centering pass to Bradshaw, whose shot was off-line. A Perth defender took the kick-in, but went outside the goalsquare. The bounce-down in the square saw Seaby gain the tap and drop the ball on to his boot for Claremont’s sixth goal and a half-time lead of 16 points.

Tagger Hugo Breakey applied a strong tackle on Morton in the opening moments of the third quarter to earn a free-kick. He then handpassed to Davies, who got the ball on to Bradshaw in the left pocket. But only a behind was the result.

Blackwell was having a significant influence on the contest and he handpassed to Breakey, whose wobbly pass was marked by Jones for his first goal to extend Claremont’s lead to 25 points. But the demons rebounded grandly and piled on 4.2 while holding the Tigers scoreless in the space of eight minutes.

This gave the home side a one-point lead before the Tigers regained some composure and kicked the final three goals of the quarter to go into the final break with a 17-point advantage. Centre-half-forward Anton Hamp marked a Perth switch kick to notch the first of those three late goals.

A move initiated by Goyder on the right wing and involving Richardson ended with Perth’s Michael Sinclair infringing against Bradshaw, who made the most of the free-kick with his second goal. And soon afterwards Fong handpassed to Jones, whose shot was shepherded through by Medhurst for the side’s tenth goal.

Fong, full-back James Thomson and Bradshaw combined to get the ball to Richardson for a Claremont goal two minutes into the final term. Half-back flanker Keifer Yu passed to Hamp, whose pass found a leading Medhurst, who delivered to Jones for Claremont’s 12th goal. The next came less than a minute later after Jones had passed to Murphy.

Murphy got another four minutes later after he received a free-kick for an over-the-shoulder infringement. This gave the Tigers a lead of 34 points. But Claremont did not add to their in the final 15 minutes and 40 seconds, and during that barren period Perth kicked three goals in the space of five minutes to go down by just 15 points.

Blackwell, Murphy and Neates were outstanding on the ball, while Thomson deserves praise for his determined effort on the towering Fraser McInnes, who failed to score a goal.

Blackwell had 17 kicks, 15 effective handpasses and had a staggering total of 15 clearances from stoppages. His tally of six tackles was equalled only by Murphy, who finished with 13 kicks and eight effective handpasses. Neates had 17 kicks, eight effective handpasses, four tackles, eight clearances and he also delivered the ball inside his side’s 50m attacking zone six times.

By Ken Casellas



Claremont 14.12 (96) beat Perth 12.9 (81).

Scorers---CLAREMONT: C. Jones, J. Murphy 3.1; J. Bradshaw 2.3; I. Richardson 2.1; A. Hamp, P. Medhurst, M. Seaby 1.1; M. Davies 1.0; S. Fong 0.1; 2pts forced. PERTH: B. Stack 4.2; S. Tunbridge 2.2; P. Bevan 2.0; J. Houghton, J. Leeson 1.1; M. Florio, R. Richardson 1.0; B. Fry, F. McInnes 0.1; 1pt forced.

Best---CLAREMONT: L. Blackwell, J. Murphy, B. Anderson, M. Seaby, C. Jones, R. Neates, J. Thomson. PERTH: B. Stack, J. Houghton, J. Leeson, K. Ransted, J. Jacobs, B. Hodge, D. White.

Round 23 WAFL Results

Monday, August 26, 2013 - 1:55 PM

SWAN Districts scored a crucial win over East Fremantle in Saturday's Round 23 WAFL action that could very well lock in a finals berth for the black-and-whites with Claremont, South Fremantle and Subiaco also recording victories.

All eyes were on Bassendean's Steel Blue Oval with a spot in the four up grabs with Swan Districts prevailing over East Fremantle 14.19 (103) to 12.8 (80).

Claremont overcame Perth 15.12 (102) to 12.9 (81) at Lathlain's Brownes Stadium while South Fremantle and East Perth played out perhaps the most entertaining game of the season with the Bulldogs winning 22.13 (145) to 21.7 (133) at Fremantle Oval in a high-scoring thriller.

Subiaco's clash with Peel Thunder at Leederville's Medibank Stadium was certainly far from the prettiest game of the season, but it was the Lions who won 18.14 (122) to 12.5 (77).

Perth needed a miracle just about anyway to make the finals before Saturday's clash at home with Claremont, but the Tigers ended all hopes the Demons might have still had with a comfortable 21-point victory.

Perth actually started well and led by 12 points at quarter-time, but Claremont took control in the second quarter with five goals to one, and were never threatened throughout the second half going on to record the win.

Jake Murphy continued his outstanding form for Claremont with four goals from 24 possessions with Luke Blackwell again leading the way with 33 disposals and six tackles.

Chad Jones also kicked three goals for the Tigers with Jack Bradshaw and Ian Richardson adding two apiece while Ryan Neates had 25 disposals, Sam Fong 23 and Blake Anderson 20.

Brennan Stack kicked four goals for Perth with Paul Bevan and Simon Tunbridge booting two apiece while Julian Jacobs had 23 possessions, Brett Hodge 22, Dene White 22 and Fraser McInnes 19 to go with nine marks and six inside-50 entries.

CLICK HERE for more Round 23 WAFL Results

Courtesy of

WAFL Round 23 Preview

Friday, August 23, 2013 - 5:25 PM

IT IS the second last round of the 2013 WAFL season with four matches to be played this Saturday highlighted by Swan Districts and East Fremantle battling over fourth position at Bassendean's Steel Blue Oval.

The winner of the Swans-Sharks clash on Saturday will sit in fourth spot come Saturday night and be in prime position to play finals football in 2013.

The other three matches on Saturday afternoon sees Perth take on Claremont at Lathlain's Brownes Stadium, South Fremantle host East Perth at Fremantle Oval and Subiaco play Peel Thunder at Leederville's Medibank Stadium.



Selected teams

Perth's first third of its 2013 season was so impressive but the Demons now have hit the skids to be all but out of finals contention and Claremont can nail that door closed completely when the two teams meet at Lathlain's Brownes Stadium on Saturday.

Perth started the season so well winning its first three games, and five of its first seven with unlucky losses to East Fremantle and Claremont the only early hiccups.

That had everyone associated with the Demons excited about a potential first finals appearance since 1997 and that hope was again revived with a run of winning four of five games between Rounds 14 and 18.

However, losses since to East Fremantle, West Perth and East Perth by an average of over 45 points has all but ended any hopes Perth held of playing in the finals.

For Perth to still play finals, it will need to beat Claremont and South Fremantle by big margins in its last two games and hope that East Perth, East Fremantle and Swan Districts lose their last two matches to open up a spot in the top-four for them.

A win over the Tigers this Saturday will keep those faint hopes alive, but that is going to be a lot easier said than done.

Claremont has a fourth straight WAFL minor premiership secured as the Tigers shoot for a third straight flag so they will not be taking it lightly on the Demons particularly with so many players needing to play well to book in their individual places come finals time.

The two teams have met just the once so far this year with Claremont winning a thriller by five points back in Round 8 but the Tigers won all three meetings in 2012 even though the Demons scored an upset with a six-point win at Claremont Oval in Round 14, 2011.

Perth will need a miracle to make the finals from here requiring two massive wins against Claremont and South Fremantle, but the Demons' cause against the Tigers haven’t been helped out the selection table.

Ruckman Christian Eyres goes out of the team leaving Mitchell Lleyendekkers with the massive task of going up against Mark Seaby and Mitch Andrews virtually on his own.

Key midfielders Chance Bateman and Daniel O'Sullivan are also out of the Perth line-up with Matthew Hunt going out of the side as well that lost to East Perth by 48 points last Saturday.

Reese Richardson, Kieran Hug, Julian Jacobs, Joel Houghton, Joel Kalajzic and Brad Fry are all looking to break into the Perth line-up.

While Claremont does lose captain Andrew Browne, in-form defender Jesse Laurie and Tom Taylor from its team that beat Swan Districts by 59 points last Sunday, the Tigers have some more than handy inclusions to call upon.

Dual premiership 196-game veteran David Crawford is back after having the last month off so his experience will be invaluable to the Claremont defence with Browne, Laurie and Taylor the three outs this week all having been key parts of the back-line this year.

With just two weeks until the finals, spots are being heavily fought over in the Claremont line-up as well with Blake Anderson, Richard Cronin, Shane Edwards, Matthew Goyder and Keifer Yu all desperately trying to earn their way into the Tigers' side this Saturday against the Demons.

CLICK HERE for a full preview of Round 23 WAFL action.

Courtesy of

Munro Dies At 84

Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 4:01 PM

Former Claremont league captain John Munro, a stalwart of the club in the 1950s, has died at the age of 84.

Tall and agile, he was an outstanding centre-half-forward who made his senior debut in 1948 and played 118 league matches for the Tigers. He kicked exactly 100 goals, was the club’s fairest-and-best player in 1953 and was captain in 1954. He received life membership of the club in 1954.

Munro represented Western Australia in eight interstate matches, including the 1953 national championship carnival in Adelaide.

He was a talented all-round sportsman, who played first-grade cricket for Nedlands as a wicketkeeper-batsman and was WA’s regular wicketkeeper in Sheffield Shield matches from 1948 to 1954.

He appeared in 28 first-class matches, scoring 497 runs, taking 56 catches and making four stumpings. His highest score was an unbeaten 53 against New Zealand at the WACA Ground in March 1954.

Munro was one of only seven men to have played league football for Claremont as well as playing first-class cricket for the State, the others being Wally Langdon, Harry Price, Arnold (Bud) Byfield, Ian Brayshaw, Bruce Duperouzel and Denis Baker.

By Ken Casellas

Proudies Foundation: Doing It For A Mate

Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 3:23 PM

The Proudies Foundation is offering a unique opportunity for your business to become involved in a project dear to the hearts of many in the Albany community.

We are getting a group of young guys together to create a 12 month calendar to raise funds to help Warrick Proudlove and his family with his ongoing rehabilitation to get him on the road to recovery after his terrible accident in July 2011.

The calendar is in the production and we are inciting businesses to become involved by sponsoring the calendar’s production and launch. We are offering several sponsorship options to businesses as each individual business has their own requirements when becoming a part of such an event.



Corporate Sponser = $250

Becoming a corporate sponsor will offer your business the following;

  • - Your business will be advertised with one other business on one month of the calendar including logos, contact details and addresses etc.
  • - Two representatives from your business will be invited to attend the launch of the calendar free of charge.
  • - You will be acknowledged in all forms of media associated with the calendar.
  • - Your business will be advertised on all correspondence regarding the calendar, including all advertising for and during the launch.


Cash Donation:

If your business would like to offer a cash donation it will be utilised for printing costs or costs associated with the launch.

  • - Your business will be acknowledged at the launch.
  • - Business name only will be included on the back cover of the calendar.


Products or Vouchers:

If your business would like to offer a donation of goods or a voucher these items will be offered for sale at an auction to be held at the launch or included in a raffle that will be held and drawn at the Proudies Foundation Calender Launch.

  • - If auctioned your business will be acknowledged at the auction
  • - If raffled it will be acknowledged on all raffle tickets.
  • - Your business name will be printed on the back cover of the calendar.


If you wish to become involved and we have not outlined a suitable option for your business we are happy to talk to you about any ideas or suggestions you might have.

We have left ourselves a very short timeline so your prompt reply would be appreciated. The calendar will be printed in the second half of 2013 ready for the 2014 calendar year. We will acknowledge the sponsoring businesses at the launch of the calendar.

We look forward to hearing from you soon and hope that you decided to become involved in this special opportunity.

Fior more information on sponsorship options or donations please contact Kevin Proudlove - 0419 959 732



All Businesses involved will be made know to Kevin and Trish Proudlove and family and promoted locally in our community at every opportunity. All funds raised from the sale of the calendar will be donated to the Proudies Foundation to support Warrick through the ongoing months of his recovery. There are no paid people organising these events all work has been done on a voluntary basis where possible. If you do not wish to be an advertised sponsor but would like to help, donations can be made to;

Proudies Foundation Inc

BSB: 016007 

ACC: 280879776

Please put your business name down as a reference

Bentley's Quartet From A Wing

Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 11:34 AM

Star footballers are often referred to as Rolls Royce performers, but it was a sleek Bentley of the Maximillian variety who gave a turbo-charged display and provided the highlight of Claremont’s runaway 118-point thrashing of bottom side Swan Districts at Claremont Oval on Saturday.

Max Bentley exploded into action to dominate the third quarter in which he booted four of his side’s five goals.

No, the 18-year-old Bentley is not a key forward. He produced his remarkable fireworks playing on the left wing. The former Scotch College student has been a resolute and dependable defender, mainly on a half-back flank, and, at times, in a back pocket for much of the season.

Coach Ben Dyer switched him to a wing for the round 19 match against Subiaco at Leederville Oval on July 27 --- and he has flourished as an aggressive, attacking wingman since then.

There were many outstanding performers on a sunny morning when the Tigers had 13 individual goalscorers in the lop-sided contest against a side experimenting with several 16 and 17-year-olds.

The Tigers cannot afford to get carried away by the ease of the victory and they will need to be fully switched on to meet powerful challenges from Perth and East Fremantle in the final two rounds of qualifying matches.  Claremont will clash with Perth at Lathlain Park on Saturday this week, fully mindful that the Demons have won 11 matches in a row.

Claremont defeated Perth by 46 points in a round 8 fixture on May 4. However, the Demons have shown considerable improvement since then.

Some of the many features of Claremont’s victory on Saturday included a masterly performance on a half-back flank by Jack Beeck, an almost flawless display from Rowen Powell at centre-half-back, Darcy Cameron’s control of the ruck duels and his ability to take 12 marks and kick three goals, and a dynamic 23-kick performance by midfielder Harry Court.

The only downside was an ankle injury sustained half-way through the third quarter by hard-working and fearless rover Jordan Law. 

It was Law who scored the opening goal after marking a pass from Court with the digital scoreboard clock showing that six minutes and 30 seconds had been played.  Beeck was playing with great dash and assurance and he burst through the centre to deliver a delightful short pass with his natural left foot to a leading Eddie Simpson for goal No. 2.

The third goal came at the 16-minute mark after Bailey Rogers drove the ball forward with a long kick. He was flattened while delivering the ball and Nick Steens was awarded a free-kick where the ball landed in the left pocket. This gave Steens the first of his two goals in the space of two minutes. His next major came after he gained possession on the right flank.

Powell and Jordan Crockett then combined to get the ball to Beeck, who kicked truly from a difficult angle deep in the left pocket. The sixth goal came just a few seconds before the quarter-time siren after Jack Carruthers capitalised on some good work from Cameron, Law and Jyrin Woods.

A five-goal second term gave the Tigers a commanding 61-point lead at half-time, 11.8 to 2.1. Big forward Jake Jones got things moving with a pass with his non-preferred left foot to Cameron for the opening goal of the quarter. Soon after that Cameron handpassed to Woods, whose shot at goal was marked by Jones one metre out for the next major.

Then followed a ten-minute goal drought, during which time Powell continued to excel at centre-half-back. Eventually the next goal came after Woods fought hard to start an attacking move involving Harry Wilkinson, Law, Powell and Beeck and ending with a mark to Simpson for his second goal.

It was Ben Higgs to Court for the next goal and Cameron scored his side’s eleventh following a move started at left half-back by Beeck, who passed to Court. Winger Aaron Birch continued the move and he delivered to forward Francis Watson, whose low, short pass found Cameron.

The third quarter belonged to Bentley, playing on the left wing. He dashed forward in the opening minute to steer through a marvellous goal from long range. Then followed four behinds in a seven-minute period during which Joel Fiegert flew to take a spectacular mark and Powell continued in grand form.

It was Bentley who set up the next goal, gaining possession on the left wing and handpassing to Law before charging forward to accept the handpass from Law and then booting his second. Watson got into the act with the next goal, following a Jared Hardisty kick from half-back, a two-bounce burst from Woods and a pass from Higgs.

Bentley got the next goal from long range after a surging run. Mason Whitehead was playing strongly deep in defence and he was the architect of a move which finished with Court, whose shot grazed a gaol post. Powell, Higgs and Watson were enjoying themselves and Bentley booted his fourth goal late in the quarter, from 55m out, following marks and accurate passes from Cameron and Higgs.   

Claremont added two more goals in the first two minutes of the final term. It was a Bentley handpass to Powell which set up the first of these, a long shot by Higgs from the right flank. Then Steens handballed to Court, whose pass was marked by Cameron for the big man’s third major.

Higgs was having a ball and he recorded a “poster” shortly before he drove the ball forward where Woods steered a goal with his left boot. Whitehead ventured downfield and joined the list of goalkickers after a move involving Fiegert, Steens and Higgs.

With two minutes remaining Beeck capped a wonderful performance by earning a free-kick at half-forward and then a 50m penalty which he converted into Claremont’s 21st goal.

By Ken Casellas



Claremont 21.19 (145) beat Swan Districts 4.3 (27).

Scorers---CLAREMONT: M. Bentley 4.0; D. Cameron 3.0; J. Beeck, E. Simpson, N. Steens 2.0; B. Higgs 1.6; F. Watson 1.3; J. Woods 1.2; H. Court, J. Law 1.1; J. Fiegert 0.2; R. Powell 0.1; 1pt forced. SWAN DISTRICTS: T. Yorkshire 2.0; J. Daniels, W. Bielawski 1.1; C. Daniels 0.1.

Best---CLAREMONT: J. Beeck, R. Powell, H. Court, D. Cameron, M. Bentley, B. Higgs, A. Birch, N. Steens, J. Fiegert. SWAN DISTRICTS: J. Daniels, L. Ridley, B. Whitsed, W. Bielawski, T. Yorkshire.

Handley Returns In Style

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 2:48 PM

Claremont continued their powerful march into the finals with an emphatic 59-point demolition of Swan Districts at Claremont Oval on Saturday when the Tigers restricted the Swans to just 9.11 in fine conditions.

There were numerous reasons for this modest total. One was the return to action of Trinity Handley, who excelled in his battle against dangerous Swans key forward Tim Geappen, restricting him to just one goal, a snap early in the third quarter.

Other reasons included a dominant midfield, which not only provided the Claremont forwards with a feast of opportunities, but also restricted the opposition’s attacking sorties. And another was the general efficiency of the entire Claremont defence, in which Jesse Laurie was outstanding.

It was a grand return to league action by Handley, who was making only his sixth league appearance for the season, and his first since he fractured a bone in a leg late in the round-six match against West Perth on April 20. The Tigers also welcomed the return of centre-half-forward Anton Hamp, who was injured in the match against Subiaco on July 27.

The only disheartening aspect of the day was the injury received by captain Andrew Browne, who damaged his left shoulder late in the opening quarter and is unlikely to be unfit for the next two matches. Browne, who received a quadriceps injury in Claremont’s previous match against Swans, on July 13, should be fit for the second semi-final.

Swans were desperate for victory on Saturday to enhance their prospects of appearing in the finals, but apart from a strong opening quarter, they were outplayed and outgeneralled by the Tigers. This was only the second time in 18 matches this year that Swans had been restricted to a score of fewer than ten goals. Their lowest total was the 9.10 they managed against the Tigers in round three on March 30.

The outstanding midfield trio of vice-captains Luke Blackwell and Jake Murphy and Andrew Foster excelled and finished with a combined total of 94 disposals --- 48 kicks and 46 handpasses, while Ryan Neates sparkled on a wing with 18 kicks and five effective handpasses.

The irrepressible Blackwell finished with 18 kicks, 12 effective handpasses, four tackles, eight clearances from stoppages and a match-high tally of eight inside 50s. Foster had ten kicks, 18 effective handpasses, five tackles, five clearances and three inside 50s, while the tireless Murphy had 20 kicks, nine effective handpasses, five tackles, nine clearances and five inside 50s.                                        

Mark Seaby again dominated the ruck contests as well as taking six marks, having nine kicks and making seven effective handpasses. For good measure he booted two goals and made five effective spoils, a tally exceeded only by Handley’s seven.

Laurie was robust and highly dependable in a back pocket and on a half-back flank and he finished with 12 marks, 15 kicks and seven effective handpasses. Tom Taylor, Aaron Holt, Sam Fong, John Williams and James Thomson (who restricted Tony Notte to only one goal) all weighed in with stout0-hearted efforts in defence.

The forward line functioned smoothly, with Ian Richardson and Paul Medhurst each kicking four goals, Hamp three and Chad Jones two. Jack Bradshaw was extremely lively and his 27-disposal effort included five clearances and four inside 50s. Special mention also must go to the disciplined Hugo Breakey, who had the task of tagging dangerous midfielder Matt Riggio. It was a job very well done.

Claremont made a tardy start and Swans, after kicking the first two goals, led by eight points at quarter-time. Following handpasses from Blackwell and Mitch Andrews, in his 50th league appearance for the Tigers, Fong booted the first of Claremont’s 19 goals. The second came two minutes later after Bradshaw handpassed to Jones, who handballed on to Medhurst for a clever snap from the right pocket.

Richardson scored Claremont’s third goal after a forward thrust involving Foster, Handley and Fong.

The scores were level twice and the lead changed hands twice early in the second term, which saw Bradshaw bring up a poster after only 56 seconds. Two minutes later a Hamp pass found Jones for Claremont’s fourth goal. This was the first of five consecutive Claremont goals before Swans replied with their only goal for the quarter, when Dayle Garlett took a mark in the goalsquare at the 26-minute mark.

Claremont’s second goal for the quarter came after busy wingman Nick Winmar passed to Hamp just inside the boundary line a long way out at right half-forward. Then Richardson fought hard for the ball on the ground and got it by hand to Foster for the next goal, from the left flank. Richardson got the next goal from a free-kick 55m out after Blackwell had sent the ball forward.

The ball went back to the centre where Murphy met with interference and received a free-kick. Blackwell accepted the mark and used his left foot to deliver a splendid pass to Hamp for the next major.

Once again it was all Claremont in the third term when the home side added 6.2 to 2.1. The first of these goals was posted after 55 seconds after Jones had marked a pass from Seaby and then a forward thrust initiated by John Williams resulted in the next goal to Matt Davies.

It was then Seaby’s turn as he moved forward, taking a spell from ruck duties. Handpasses from Winmar and Fong ended with A Murphy pass being marked by Seaby in the goalsquare. Just over five minutes later a long Murphy kick from left half-forward saw Seaby take another mark for his second major.              

Andrews joined the party with a wonderful shot from the boundary line in the left pocket after he had received a free-kick for interference at a boundary throw-in, following a forward move involving Murphy, Richardson and Winmar.

Late in the quarter Neates took an advantage free-kick and passed to Hamp for his third goal. And then it was the mercurial Medhurst’s turn to grab the limelight in the final quarter as he booted three goals in the space of nine minutes.

The first of those goals came after Medhurst marked a Blackwell pass. Then Davies drove the ball forward for Richardson to snap a goal. Medhurst got the next two, the first a splendid kick from the right pocket after receiving from Bradshaw. Exactly two minutes later a strong attack on the ball by Fong ended with Richardson gaining possession and booting the ball to Medhurst, who marked and played on to notch his fourth for the afternoon.

Late in the quarter a Blackwell pass found Williams, whose shot grazed a goalpost to register a behind. An errant kick-in saw Richardson pounce and boot his fourth to end a fine day for the Tigers.

By Ken Casellas



Claremont 19.10 (124) beat Swan Districts 9.11 (65).

Scorers---CLAREMONT: P. Medhurst 4.3; I. Richardson 4.0; A. Hamp 3.1; C. Jones, M. Seaby 2.0; S. Fong 1.1; M. Andrews, M. Davies, A. Foster 1.0; J. Bradshaw 0.2; J. Murphy, J. Williams 0.1; 1pt forced. SWAN DISTRICTS: R. Davis 2.1; K. Ugle 2.0; T. Geappen 1.2; D. Garlett, T. Notte, T. Roach, M. Rogers 1.0; C. Cameron, B. Robinson 0.2; N. Blakely, W. Twomey 0.1; 1ptr forced.

Best---CLAREMONT: L. Blackwell, J. Laurie, J. Murphy, A. Foster, R. Neates, M. Seaby, P. Medhurst, T. Handley, S. Fong, T. Taylor, J. Bradshaw. SWAN DISTRICTS: S. Hildebrandt, W. Twomey, N. Broad, G. Jetta, K. Hams, R. Davis.

2013 Holiday Raffle Winners

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 12:46 PM

The Claremont Football Club would like to thank all who bought tickets in the 2013 Claremont Football Club Holiday Raffle and give a big Congratulations to all of the winners!


Prizes and the lucky winners of these prizes are posted below.


Ticket #6982 - KERRY WILLIAMS

Trip for 2 people to Broome - 5 nights accommodation in a Garden View Studio at THE CABLE BEACH CLUB RESORT & SPA. Where the ocean meets the outback, lies a truly magical place, Cable Beach Club Resort & Spa. Like Broome itself, the award winning resort is a beautiful melting pot of cultural influences and architecture. You’ll also find two swimming pools, one for families, and the other a tranquil haven reserved solely for adults [valid until May 2014] Also included is return airfares for 2 people with SKYWEST AIRLINES. - every Skywest service offers a quality product of meals, in-flight bar and the most spacious legroom in its class of any Western Australian airline...all at no extra cost! [valid until May 2014].





Trip for 2 people to Broome - 3 nights accommodation in a Garden View Studio at THE CABLE BEACH CLUB RESORT & SPA. Where the ocean meets the outback, lies a truly magical place, Cable Beach Club Resort & Spa. Like Broome itself, the award winning resort is a beautiful melting pot of cultural influences and architecture. You’ll also find two swimming pools, one for families, and the other a tranquil haven reserved solely for adults [valid until May 2014] AIRFARES NOT INCLUDED.




Ticket #1333 - ROB JOHNSTON

Two nights accommodation in a Deluxe Room for 2 people at THE TERRACE HOTEL In the heart of the West End of Perth’s CBD, set as the backdrop on a stunning sun dappled terrace, the historic Terrace Hotel is the quintessential experience for accommodation, dining, entertainment and style. Valid until 30/11/13.





1 carton [12 bottles] of 2010 SANDALFORD ESTATE RESERVE CABERNET SAUVIGNON - VINTAGE 2010 was a cracking vintage with some of the most perfect conditions ever seen in Margaret River. Long, slow even ripening conditions lead to marvellous balance between the winemaking parameters of sugar, flavour, acid and secondary compounds such as tannins.




Ticket #6471 - JOE DRABBLE

1 carton [12 bottles] of 2012 SARACEN ESTATE SAUVIGNON BLANC SEMILLON – Pale straw with tinges of green in colour, this wine has soft grassy aroma which is lifted by the addition of 45% Semillon. This Sauvignon Blanc Semillon is fuller on the palate due to the 24% barrel fermentation in older French oak, (on both the SB & Semillon) which adds weight to the mouth feel. A subtle fruit sweetness, with a citrus combination of lemon and lime flavours, brings zing to the palate. This wine is pleasant and easy drinking.



WAFL Round 22 Results

Monday, August 19, 2013 - 5:00 PM

CLOSE matches weren’t the order of the day in WAFL Round 22 action over the weekend but East Perth, Claremont, East Fremantle and South Fremantle all recorded impressive and crucial thumping victories.

The round began on Saturday with East Perth beating Perth 20.16 (136) to 13.10 (88) at Leederville's Medibank Stadium and that saw the Royals improve to third position on the ladder to all but secure a finals position with games against South Fremantle and Subiaco to finish their season.

There were then three matches on Sunday highlighted by East Fremantle thumping West Perth 20.14 (134) to 9.7 (61) in front of 6195 fans at Arena Joondalup with the result seeing the Sharks move up to fourth spot on the ladder.

Swan Districts fell out of the four when Claremont beat the black-and-whites 19.10 (124) to 9.11 (65) at Claremont Oval while South Fremantle hammered Peel Thunder 24.16 (160) to 9.13 (67) at Mandurah's Bendigo Bank Stadium.

Swan Districts beat Claremont on its last visit to Claremont Oval and needed to do so again on Sunday to stay in the top-four.

The black-and-whites started strongly with an eight-point quarter-time lead, but from there Claremont kicked 16 goals to five for the rest of the afternoon to end up winning by 59 points.

Paul Medhurst kicked four goals for Claremont with Ian Richardson adding three as did Anton Hamp with ruckman Mark Seaby and full-forward Chad Jones adding two each.

Luke Blackwell was again outstanding with another 35 possessions with Jake Murphy finishing with 30 disposals, Andrew Foster 30, Jack Bradshaw 27, Ryan Neates 27, Jesse Laurie 22 and Tom Taylor 20.

Ryan Davis and Kirk Ugle both kicked two goals for Swan Districts with Shaun Hildebrandt picking up 32 possessions, Wayde Twomey 28, Kyle Hams 25, Matt Riggio 20, Graham Jetta 20, Tom Roach 20 and Dayle Garlett 19 to go with five tackles and six entries inside 50.



Claremont 19.10.124 def Swan Districts 9.11.65

Claremont 11.14.80 def Swan Districts 11.5.71

Claremont 21.19.145 def Swan Districts 4.3.27

CLICK HERE for more Round 22 WAFL Results

Courtesy of

WAFL Round 22 Preview

Friday, August 16, 2013 - 4:11 PM

ALL four WAFL Round 22 matches across Saturday and Sunday have big implications for spots inside the top-four, with teams trying to stay in touch and indeed at the bottom of the ladder as well.

There is just the one match on Saturday afternoon with East Perth taking on Perth at Leederville's Medibank Stadium before three Sunday games with Peel hosting South Fremantle at Mandurah's Bendigo Bank Stadium, West Perth taking on East Fremantle at Arena Joondalup and Claremont battling Swan Districts at Claremont Oval.



Selected teams

Claremont might have dominated the WAFL competition over the last four years now but it hasn’t been the case against Swan Districts.

Swan Districts again travel to Claremont Oval to take on Claremont this Sunday after beating the Tigers on their home turf back in Round 17 by a commanding 39 points.

While Claremont has all but wrapped up its fourth straight WAFL minor premiership sitting on a 15-2 record with three games to go, Swan Districts has never been an easy obstacle for the Tigers to overcome.

Claremont won the minor premiership in 2010 and won straight through to the grand final with a commanding 50-point second semi-final victory but then Swans pulled off one of the most amazing one-point grand final wins in WAFL history.

Swan Districts had a down year in 2011 with Claremont comfortably winning all three meetings on the way to a premiership but in 2012, Swans pulled off two wins during the season against the Tigers before losing the second semi-final by 32 points.

The Tigers went on to win another premiership last year and then thumped Swans by 61 points in Round 3 at Bassendean's Steel Blue Oval to start the 2013 battles, but the black-and-whites hit back tremendously with a 39-point win back in Round 17.

Now Swans sit in third position on the WAFL ladder following back-to-back wins over Peel Thunder and can further consolidate a finals position with a win over Claremont on Sunday.

However, a loss and an East Perth win over Perth will see Swans drop to fourth and possibly even out of the four altogether if East Fremantle is also able to beat West Perth.

The Tigers regained some encouraging form two weeks ago before the bye with a 28-point win over the fourth-placed East Perth and now the two-time reigning premiers get some star players back as well to take on Swan Districts with.

Dual premiership 175-game veteran Trinity Handley is set to return after breaking his leg in Round 6 against West Perth. The 29-year-old has played two reserves games back and now is right to go against the black-and-whites this week.

Key forward Anton Hamp is also back after missing a week with a sore ankle and he is another important addition to the forward-line having booted 27 goals this season.

Hugo Breakey, Richard Cronin, Liam Smith and Keifer Yu are also fighting for a spot in the Claremont team as they look to impress ahead of another finals campaign.

Claremont does have two important outs, though, with Patrick McGinnity to play for West Coast against Geelong on Saturday night and Alex Silvagni named for Fremantle against Melbourne on Sunday.

There are no outs at this stage in the Swan Districts team that won a thriller over Peel last Saturday in Mandurah with Aaron Elari, Connor Blakely, Aidan Anderson, Nathan Blakely and Ricky Cary all pressing for selection.


CLICK HERE for a full Preview of Round 22 WAFL action.

Courtesy of